Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park GA/TN - (Fri.12/7)


Another Civil War look. The last large Southern battle into south-central Tennessee and northwestern Georgia occurred here from September 18 - 20, 1863. Considered a Confederate victory for halting the Union advance, the Battle of Chickamauga was a costly one. It claimed an estimated 34,624 casualties (16,170 for the Union; 18,454 for the Confederates). Another Pyrrhic victory I'm afraid - “One More Victory Like This And We're Lost”

History presented in the South is a bit different than how it's presented in the North. I know slavery wasn't the only thing that was disagreed on and initially it wasn't the main disagreement but while there was wrong done on both sides, I have a hard time viewing the South as the “good guys.” However, I will make it my aim to study the opposing views and solve this once and for all with the voice of perfect objectiveness. Right...

No comments: